Executive Producer Jamie Nichols is delighted to announce CELEBRATE DANCE 2010 Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:00pm at the historic Alex Theatre in Glendale, California. The show will include a line-up of nine "knock out" dance companies, smashing new work and debuts by ingenious choreographers skillfully lit by masterful lighting designer Eileen Cooley, the recipient of seven Lester Horton Dance Awards for Lighting Design.
CELEBRATE DANCE 2010 will feature:
• BARE Dance Company (Mike Esperanza Artistic Director) debuts with Celebrate Dance and offers Drift the gorgeous award winning contemporary quartet restaged for The Alex, "exploring how relationships weave in and out of lives"
• Body Current Dance (Lorin Johnson Artistic Director) the former American Ballet Theatre dancer debuts his contemporary ballet company with Celebrate Dance and offers a premiere for dancers on pointe, to the music of cellist Joan Jeanrenaud
• Catch Me Bird (Nehara Kalev & Derrick Jones Artistic Directors) husband a wife team restage Guiding Rings an aerial duet. They are inspired in three ways: the rings that are exchanged between two lovers as a solid symbol of commitment; the essential part of a telescope that allows one to see far-flung places; the aerial sculpture that challenges us to create daring new works together.
• JazzAntiqua Dance and Music Ensemble (Pat Taylor Artistic Director) inspired by the African American experience Taylor offers a "hot" premiere danced to the music Jean Luc Ponty for nine dancers. This will be the 3rd participation in Celebrate Dance for the company.
• Josie Walsh's MyoKyo visiting Celebrate Dance for the 2nd year brings an edgy contemporary duet, Found "the eternal confrontational journey of love"
• Macarena Gandarillas and Dancers debuts her company at Celebrate Dance with the award winning story ballet for seven dancers titled, Always Remember… Never to Forget "dedicated to our brave soldiers and their families"
• Motion Tribe (Marie de la Palme Artistic Director) offers the ethereal acrobatic award-winning duet The Cage restaged for the Alex Theatre and performed in a wheeled cage designed by award winning set designer Brock Cilley
• PTERO Dance Theatre (Paula Present Artistic Director) premieres a luscious Joie de Vivre a modern quintet inspired by Khalil Gibran's poetry danced to the music of Arvo Part
• RhetOracle Dance Company (Nathan Hodges Artistic Director) returns to Celebrate Dance after a critically successful performance in 2009 and premieres Flower That Pick Themselves "a secret addiction to bitter medicine" a contemporary jazz work for seven dancers
For three consecutive years 2007, 2008 and 2009 CELEBRATE DANCE has been awarded the Lester Horton Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement for Festival and a considerable number of participants have received Lester Horton Dance Award nominations and awards from showing their work in the annual festival presented by "impresaria" Jamie Nichols. For two years running the event has been a complete sell out show with enthusiastic audiences of all ages.
WHERE: Alex Theatre 2116 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA. 91023
WHEN: Saturday, March13, 2009, 8:00pm
Discounts: children ($12), students, seniors and DRC Members.
Group rates for 15 or more @ 25% off are available by calling the Box Office
HOW: Alex Theatre Box office 818-243-2539 or http://www.AlexTheatre.org
Executive Producer Jamie Nichols was the Artistic Director and founder of the Pasadena based contemporary dance company Fast Feet for 23 years. Until retiring her dance company in 2003 she self-produced her work in festivals and venues throughout California. Critically acclaimed for the emotional intensity and eloquence of her dancing and choreography, she has been nominated in past years for several Lester Horton Dance Awards and was the recipient of six Lester Horton Dance Awards most recently the recipient of a Lester Horton Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Producing a Festival for Celebrate Dance 2006, 2007 and 2008 respectfully. Ms. Nichols is the marketing director, fundraiser, press contact and sole producer of Celebrate Dance. She has also produced modern dance icon Marion Scott's Spirit Dances 10 at Highways Performance Space, the successful 16th Annual Lester Horton Dance Awards, Co-Produced with Theater Bethune Ray Bradbury's dance-theatre production, Frost and Fire, and she has Co-Produced The Los Angeles Dance Invitational for six years.http://www.celebratedance.org